Date: Sunday, November 20, 2022 8:00 AM – 3:00 PM
Description: This will be a full club meeting working all three phases of the Schutzhund sport. Price is $25 for club members and $40 for non-members. Registration closes 11/18/2022. Full description below!
Venue: Next Level Kennels, 1776 Walter Bowen Road, Henderson, North Carolina.
Register (Pre-registration required): https://docs.google.com/…/1FAIpQLSfq…/viewform…
Payment: When we receive your registration, we will verify your registration and send a link for payment.
Members and Guests of Old North State Working Dobermans are invited to join us for a public club meeting day with instruction in tracking, obedience, and protection led by club members. Our training helper will be Justin Emery from Wilmington, NC.
Guests of ONSWD who are interested in joining the club should plan to attend to learn more about schutzhund club/sport participation and membership in the Club. Guest registration is open for non-members until November 18, 2022.
8:00am– Work starts promptly at this time. Club members who intend to lay longer tracks or age their tracks should arrive early and have track-laying completed at this time. We will review some club etiquette and expectations before we get started as well as information about membership.
8:15am– Tracking- Longer track demos followed by beginner tracking & puppy tracking.
9:30am– Obedience Session- Obedience demos and problem solving.
11:00am– Protection Session – Introduction to Protection in schutzhund.
Our training helper for this weekend will be Justin Emery, of Wilmington, NC. Justin is a passionate schutzhund enthusiast, dedicated to learning as much as he can about the sport. He has successfully trained two German Shepherd Dogs to IPO3 level, and he is currently pursuing his next “3” on his current dog. He competed successfully at the 2021 USCA Southeast regional, achieving a placement in the top 10.
A lifelong learner, Justin seeks to expand his knowledge about schutzhund training methods from around the world. He has attended the past two years of the AWDF Helper Camp, training with some of today’s most talented training helpers: Joeri Veth, Marko Koskensalo, Tim Cutter, Greg Doud, Mario Gomes, and Ivan Balabanov. He regularly trains with a world class competitor and seeks opportunities to train whenever he can.
We are looking forward to learning from Justin during our workshop.
What to Expect
- *All attendees should sign the Next Level Kennels waiver on arrival. Please check-in on arrival to sign the waiver and add your name to the list for obedience & protection.
- All dogs must be on leash, unless otherwise instructed by the training director.
- There is a designated dog exercise (potty) area provided. Please only exercise your dog in that area, and make sure you exercise your dog prior to starting any training session.
- If you are a guest, please bring only one dog to work (unless you have prior approval from event host)
- We typically work one dog at a time, unless the training director advises otherwise. We will have a posted list of the order during obedience & protection. You should have your dog prepped and “dressed” in appropriate equipment when it is your turn, so generally, when the person in front of you starts their session, that is your cue to get your dog ready.
- Please avoid greetings between dogs. Don’t treat/feed/reward another dog and do not approach another attendee’s dog.
What You Need to Bring
- Water for yourself and your dog, yummy, moist, low-salt, high value rewards (treats), and tug toys for your dog- highest value treats and toys are ideal for this type of training. Bring a lunch or snacks for yourself as we may run into the late afternoon.
- We make every effort to share special equipment where we can, but if you have a harness, long lead, prong, fur-saver, tracking flags, or use an e-collar, please bring your own. If you do not have this equipment, you may be able to borrow from a club member, or the Next Level Kennels lobby store is open for purchases.
- Dress for the weather. This event is rain or shine. We will be outside, in potentially tall grass at times, and working on a variety of turf. Close-toed shoes are a must for participants.
- A fold-up or camping chair.
- A crate for your dog to rest in when not being worked. Your dog must be confined to a crate and/or vehicle when not training or exercising.
- Sunscreen, bug spray, water/drinks/snacks for yourself.
- Current rabies certificate required. For your dog’s safety, we highly recommend that your puppy or dog be fully vaccinated according to current veterinary recommendations.